DHraces, being the mountain biking’s equivalent of Formula 1, always pose serious challenges both to the rider as well as the designer. Although it’s unclear whether course designs changed to accommodate 29”-wheeled bikes, or their relentlessly increasing difficulty naturally suits the larger wheels, one thing is for certain – the rider needs an entirely different steed to what was once enough.
The new Darkmatter is built for winning. It’s long and the centre of gravity is low, which assures stability at speed, without sacrificing the responsiveness in the corners. A fully reworked Noster Kinetics suspension platform ensures maximum suspension efficiency by employing all of the benefits of the high pivot layout. The bike performs at its best during acceleration as well as braking, and will glide through the largest obstacles with ease.
The challenges, however, don’t stop at the highest level of racing. Riding in the bike park will also allow you to explore the incredible capability of the new Darkmatter by opening up a whole new world of extreme lines you’d never think were possible.
THE NEW DARKMATTER
We took apart the original 27.5” Darkmatter, kept what’s best and worked around it to make it even better, and now we’re proud to present the entirely new Darkmatter 29! Our new model is a work of the highest engineering craft, dressed up in unique design. Apart from the stunning looks, it has everything a racing platform of the future should have: high pivot suspension design with an idler pulley, super low centre of gravity, highest quality materials usually reserved for aerospace and motorsport applications, low weight and superb durability.
The new Darkmatter is aimed at the most demanding DH rider. Two included linkages allow the platform to be quickly transformed into mullet mode (accommodating a 27.5” rear wheel), which opens up an enormous number of possible setups, ensuring a perfect fit for every rider.
The 29” version features a classic balanced geometry, while the mullet has a shorter chainstay and of course a smaller rear wheel, which can be a big advantage on technical courses. Both of these configurations are based on Golden Ratio geometry, with a slightly shorter front center and longer rear end, which sets up the rider dead center between the wheels, working wonders for stability.
We started designing the new Darkmatter around the suspension platform and the geometry we wanted, to start with the best chassis possible. That’s the exact same way the most advanced race cars are designed. Thanks to our own-developed process of optimizing the suspension kinematics, we managed to end up with the exact specifications we set out to achieve, with no need for compromising. The new Darkmatter is highly responsive to pedalling, and with high anti-rise (100%) and low pedal kickback, the bike will always remain stable, regardless of terrain.
High Pivot uses the reverse path of the wheel, which thanks to the trajectory in the direction of the acting force, reduces hitting an obstacle, thanks to which the bike rolls faster. Unlike traditional low pivot suspensions, the movement of the wheel is in the opposite direction to the obstacle. This requires a chain guide roller to prevent the chain from jerking. In addition, this roll allows you to control parameters such as anti-squat. The first high pivot bike among the Antidote designs was the Darkmatter 27.5. Its appearance took place long before the wave of popularity of high pivot suspensions and is evidence that the brand is ahead of global trends.
UNIQUE SIDE ACCESS
Convenient access to adjustments is the basis of racing bike ergonomics. Quickly change the damping value during training or between journeys allows you to immediately react to changing conditions on the route. Thanks to the specific arrangement damper, the new Darkmatter works better with the rider, ensuring the comfort of a quick change of settings. The ergonomics of the adjustment result from a broader view of the philosophy and design of the frame as it lowers the positioning point it also allowed to reduce the standover of the frame and lower the center of gravity, affecting the handling and ease of handling the bicycle.
One of the unique things about Antidote is an individual approach to design, not excluding the paint job. We are proud of our perfect carbon fibre weave in the RAW version, but it looks amazing paired with a full paint job. Each Antidote serial number has a unique character and story behind it. Attention to looks and aesthetics of the final product is one of the main pillars of our brand’s philosophy.
The Noster Kinetics system is suited for downhill bikes only, based around a split pivot system with a high pivot design and synergical features:
- uncompromised and precisely chosen suspension characteristics utilising an idler pulley
- high pivot setup for an optimal rearward wheel path, which additionally brings an improvement in small bump compliance
- inspired by motocross bikes, the leverage ratio features an additional super progressive ramp up beyond the usual progressive characteristics, which works perfectly on fast and demanding downhill trails. The added ramp up makes the suspension feel bottomless and feels like hovering over the ground
- high anti squat throughout the cassette helps to put the power down for high efficiency sprinting
- high anti rise throughout the travel helps to additionally stabilise the bike during braking in steep terrain
- specifically tailored amount of pedal kickback for high stability over bumps, while retaining a lively suspension feel.
- rear shock does not rotate during travel, which results in additional sensitivity and less stress on bushings and bearings, prolonging their life
- innovative positioning of the shock results in a favourable stress pattern through the frame, and works to reduce stress to the down tube
- designed with coil shocks in mind, however still fully compatible with air shocks as well
- above average stiffness and durability of the frame thanks to a specially shaped swingarm and optimised carbon layup for the extreme purpose
- low centre of gravity owing to an exceptionally low placement of the shock achieved by positioning the lower linkage on the bottom bracket
In the age of bicycle mass production and commonplace outsourcing, we are proud that the entire production process of our frames, from the first line on the drawing board to the very last bolt torqued during assembly, takes place in Poland, in-house. We are meticulous in quality control at every step of the way, and being right there, we are able to respond quickly and have full control over the quality of our products. We are thrilled to provide the level of quality that is out of reach for other manufacturers. – Paweł Marczak, CEO
CHARTS AND TECH
DARKMATTER Ohlins DH38 m.2 & TTX 22./SRAM X01 DH/I9 Grade 300 – €10499
DARKMATTER FOX40 & EXT ARMA Lok V3/SRAM X01/I9 Grade 300 – €9999
Darkmatter & EXT Arma V3 – €5899
Darkmatter & OhlinsTTX 22 – €5999
Darkmatter & FOX40 & EXT ARMA Lok V3 – €6999
Darkmatter & Ohlins DH38 m.2 & TTX 22 – €7299
Frame RAW (frame, seat clamp, rear axle incl.) – €4999
Mullet link Darkmatter € 199
For more painting options prices please check our web site configurator at https://antidotebikes.com/.
FULL BIKE SPECS
WHO IS ANTIDOTE?
- Antidote Bikes is almost 20 years old. Our company was founded from our passion for mountain biking, engineering and racing, paired with a liking for design and applied art.
- We are a workshop producing mountain biking frames out of carbon fibre, aerospace aluminium and titanium. Originally, we also made fully aluminium bikes. We also do research and development work concerning the use of biocomposites in bike frame production.
- We are a small company with excellent equipment, high flexibility and an innovative approach towards design, geometry and suspension. The Antidote team is a well-oiled machine consisting of specialists working together for years, making up our own family. Our customers receive products of highest possible quality, thanks to all of our components being produced in-house. We are focused on providing a personal touch and executing unique projects.
- The frames made by Antidote are characterized by acclaimed suspension platforms, always individually designed for the needs of a certain discipline.
- We take pride in the exquisite aesthetics of our frames’ finish. We love working with the customer to create a one of a kind product together.